All of us in Digital Marketing have been watching as organic reach has become less and less reliable. The experts have been warning us for years, and personally I started noticing a big difference about 8 months ago. Facebook (and to a lesser degree, Instagram) continues to change their algorithm in an effort to #1 - to maximize ad revenue... and #2 - to make sure people are seeing the kind of content they want to see.
Of course, for social media managers, this has become a real problem.
So how do you solve the problem? The solution in 5 easy steps:
- Acknowledge the reality of the situation. Your posts will never again achieve the kind of organic reach that they once did. Those days are over.
- Choose to either continue despite poor results, or commit to changing how you approach advertising on social media.
- If you decide to make a change, then Congrats! Decide on a budget... no matter how big or small, just decide on a number and commit to spending that each and every month.
- Put your money into 3 buckets... Cold, Warm, and Hot.
- Your COLD BUDGET(40%) should be used to boost high-performing posts... show your content to people in your area who do NOT follow you... these are people you'll be introducing yourself to. Your WARM BUDGET (40%) is an advertisement that's targeted towards fans, followers, or people who have watched your content in the past... they are engaged, but not yet buyers. Your HOT BUDGET (just 20%) should be where you retarget to capture people who made it all the way to the checkout counter, but then decided not to buy... perhaps they made it to the reservation page, but then canceled out... or dropped a box of chocolates in their shopping cart, but then changed their mind.
** Become familiar with the Facebook Pixel... there's a learning curve to it, but once you understand how it works you'll begin to see all kinds of opportunities. **